- Move from collective bargaining to collective action
- Reclaim our classrooms and reclaim our profession
- Build collaborative public schools that serve all students
- Work with parents and community to promote democracy and justice
- Improve our union’s internal communication, public relations, and capacity to organize and mobilize our members
In 1998 as a rank-and-file union activist I wrote an article "Survival and Justice: Rethinking Teacher Union Strategy" in the magazine Rethinking Schools, "Never in the history of our nation have public schools been under such relentless attack. Never in the history of teacher unionism has there been a greater urgency to rethink strategy."
Fourteen years later those words are now more true than ever.